Thursday, March 24, 2011

FISHING!!!!!

This is a rare blog written by Jonathan.

Sunday's weather was amazing. We decided to have a family outing that involved one of my favorite past times. That's right first fishing trip of the year!

We got Isaiah a Mickey fishing pole for Christmas. Up until Sunday we had been playing with the fishing pole in the house. Isaiah doesn't quite have the full mechanics down, but he knows that if you swing your arm out, the bobber is supposed to fly away from you. We are also working on reeling, but that one may take time. So all of this build up, and it was finally time to take the practice to the outdoors.


Our fishing trip started out at OWU. Isaiah was excited and honestly I think he wanted to get in the water instead of fish. Renana and I took turns trying to help Isaiah catch a fish. After about 15 mins we decided that it would be best to go to Jo Allen Lowe because there was shade.

Fish - 1 Rigsby's - 0.


We went to "the duck pond" and Isaiah was so excited to see all of the ducks and geese (good news when duck hunting season starts). We gradually worked our way around the pond. Dad was concerned with catching a fish. Isaiah was concerned with catching a duck. Renana was concerned with catching Isaiah and keeping him from jumping in the water.


We finally made our way to the north end of the pond, and we decided to sit down for a while. I really didn't plan on catching any fish, and had pretty much given up. I was just sitting on the bank throwing out the plastic worm on the hook and reeling in slowly. I had almost reeled the bobber all the way in when the strike came. The fish struck hard and the fight was on. Ok it really wasn't much of a fight because it was a baby bass. Isaiah didn't know what to think at first, but he eventually warmed up and tried to hold the fish. Fish -1 Rigsby's - 1. We ended the day with a tie.



The afternoon was the type of afternoon that dad's look forward to when they have kids. I am looking forward to spending more afternoons outdoors with my family this spring/summer. I am a huge advocate of taking your kids outdoors and letting them experience the many examples of God's creation. In a world that is so concerned with Iphones and Facebook, it is great to just slow down and appreciate the world that God created. Ok stepping off of soap box. Have a great day!



1 comment: